Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Going to Bhutan

Bhutan is a small country North East of India in the Himalayas and it is like no other country on earth. First of all, it is one of the world's last remaining kingdoms. Travel there is difficult for various reasons, but it's not THAT difficult. And I'm going...did I mention I'M GOING.

Things you need to know:

Independent tourism is not allowed in Bhutan. In order to obtain a visa, you must go through a certified Bhutanese travel operator. There are only two entry points into Bhutan, by land, through the Indian city of Phuentsholing and by air, on Bhutan's only airline, through Paro (PBH) airport. On top of that, it costs around $250 per day just to be in the country. That cost is for a single traveler, but it only costs $40 more per person for up to 3 people. I'm going in July, which is the only month that is off-season, so I am only paying $200 per day.

Also, interestingly, Bhutan is a completely unevangelized Buddhist enclave. I'm going to respect their religion, even study it, but you better believe I'm going to be climbing those mountains praising Jesus!

If you've got specific questions on how to get to Bhutan, feel free to email me: anton @ doubleapictures.com (take out the spaces).

2 comments:

Liana said...

what are you going to bhutan for?

Anton said...

Study Buddhism, see the Himalayas, hang out with a guru, hike, take in the pristine nature, expand my mind, etc.