Thursday, June 19, 2008

My Producers Are My Friends

When I was in fifth grade I used to watch David Letterman before going to bed. Sometimes during the commercial breaks I would flip over to PBS and catch various National Geographic nature documentaries. Ants, primates, jungle fowl, it didn't matter, it all fascinated me. What really got me was the fact that there were filmmakers out there, in the bush, tediously shooting these films. What a lifestyle! I wanted that. After the documentary ended I would flip back over to Letterman, often to find that the show was over. I was hooked, I wanted to be a documentarian.

Last year I got to go to Kenya and India to film a reality TV show. On the show we traveled to Masai Mara and watched huge heard migrations, saw lions coupling, Cheetahs nursing their cubs and hippos lounging in the river. It was a dream come true. And in a month I'll be back there, on the Mara.

In the mean time, to pay the bills and save up some cash, I'm editing 3 big projects. In order to focus this much on editing, I can't have much contact with the outside world. This is hard and often slightly depressing for me. But I like my producers and I can call them anytime I'm feeling lonely. Even if it's just to talk about the project, at least it's someone to talk to.

Oh yeah, and one other thing, my producers have agreed to let me continue traveling around the world, going east, after we get done in India. They're even buying the ticket for the first leg of my trip.

Where's somewhere great I should go that is relatively close to South Eastern (Bengal) India? I'm thinking that I'm going to try Bhutan first.

1 comment:

Martha Elaine Belden said...

that's awesome, anton. i'm so glad your dreams are coming true :)

it makes me sad that for this to happen it means we never really get to see you... but that's just 'cause i'm selfish and i kinda like ya. but i'm happy for you, all the same.