Thursday, July 31, 2008

India Nearly Defeated Me

Even though I was toting around liter bottles of water, I still managed to get dehydrated. I had left at 8am, with my driver who I'd rented for 8 hours. First I went to The Baby Taj, then the back side of the Taj, where I met those little threshing girls pictured below. Then I went to Agra Fort and explored, then, after 2pm the Taj Mahal was free. I met a group of Indian guys who absolutely loved me and saw the Taj up close as fast as I could. Then it was back to my hostel, I got my bag and went to the train station to head to Jaipur. I had been sweating horrendously all day. When I arrived in Jaipur I was shown to my tiny room with no AC. I asked the man who owned the hostel for a bottle of water and he didn't have any. So I went to sleep the best I could on a 1 inch thick mattress, woke up late and walked to a grocery store to get some water. By that time it was already too late. The thing about getting massively dehydrated is that there is no easy fix. Once it happens it's too late and it takes 24 hours to repair the damage. In Jaipur I went to the City Palace, which was a huge let down. There was very little there and it just seemed like a shopping mall for silks and little paintings. I kept feeling like I was going to faint so I left. Then I got on the train for Delhi. I wasn't able to upgrade my ticket for various reasons so I sat in lower class, non-AC. There was a dying woman, throwing up, sprawled out across my seat so I had to beg people to let me squeeze in on their bench. India is good for this, people are actually very accommodating in these situations. 2 hours into the 5 hour journey, I had a fever and a raging headache and body ache. I drank 4 liters of cold bottled water and barely made it to my hotel in Delhi at 11pm. I wasn't sure if I was going to even be able to make my flight to Bhutan the next day, I was shivering and sweating and thought that I might have to go to the hospital. But after a lot of prayer, no food for 2 days, bottle after bottle of water and some rest, I'm feeling about 60% and I'm about to board my flight for Bhutan.

6 comments:

Jessica said...

Sweet Lord, don't die!

mirandaray said...

ANTON! take care of yourself!!!

Martha Elaine Belden said...

be careful, friend,
we love you :)

crackers and cheese said...

Oh man! I'm praying for you Anton. I second everyone above's sentiments - take care of yourself please!

Nathan said...

boo hoo! i almost died in india! suck it up man. seriously...

you know they have land mines in cambodia. lots of em. and water won't save you.

hope you're feeling better.

chirolks said...

I am glad India is behind you. Hopefully Bhutan will be cleaner, cooler, and have more water!