Monday, August 04, 2008

Heading to Cambodia

My tuk-tuk driver didn't know where the Vietnamese embassy was. He consulted his friends who told him  to take me to a certified travel agency. This is almost always a scam. I went ahead and did it, figuring if the dude tried to hustle me, I'd just book it like usual. But the second I sat down with "Jack" I felt at ease. I dropped $125 to have my Vietnam Visa expedited (what can be up to a 4 day process) and he promised me that it's be complete by 6pm. I also told him that I was going to Siem Reap and asked where I could pick up a bus. He informed me that not only was there a bus coming to the tourist agency at 7am, but that I could book it there and unlike the regular buses that only take you to the Thailand border, this bus takes you all the way to Siem Reap, Cambodia, cutting out the haggling process to hire a Toyota driver at the border. So I booked it all! I handed over my passport to a man in a leather jacket who promptly got on a motorcycle and sped away, and I left at 10am and enjoyed my free day in Bangkok, amazing! 

Tomorrow I will be spending the entire day traveling, by way of land, to Siem Reap, Camdodia. The day after that I will be spending 10 hours exploring the 23 square kilometers of temples at Angkor Wat.

Oh yeah, and pictures:
Front of the Taj Mahal, a wonder of the world.
A street in Jaipur. Looks nicer in a picture than it does in real life.
Prayer flags flying over Thimpu, Bhutan. Bhuddism is ferocious here.
Jigme, my wonderful guide from Bhutan Majestic Travel!
Tiger's Nest Monastery, a 2 hour hike from Paro. Quite a site!

5 comments:

Lonely Paul said...

Hello

kyle said...

Nice. This is all looking very lovely. Hope that visa situation works out well.

Nathan said...

seriously dude good luck. i don't know if there is such a thing as a legit tour bus to siem reap.

crackers and cheese said...

Good luck with the Visa situation! You are a brave soul. The pictures are awesome. Looking forward to the videos!

Martha Elaine Belden said...

oh man... that last photo...

breathtaking. i can't imagine how incredible it must have been in reality.

wow.