Monday, August 11, 2008

Vietnamese Face Massage

It was supposed to be a hair washing. Really, that's all I thought I was getting. Sam said that it would take about 45 minutes and something about a head massage, but I had no idea what I was in for. I hadn't washed my hair in over a week so I was long overdue for some shampoo, and a dollar seemed like a very reasonable price to not have to do it myself.

First, she started by pouring a handful of Head and shoulders onto my dry hair and working it into my scalp with the assistance of a few drops of water drizzled out of another shampoo bottle. Then I was instructed to lay down with my head in one of those hair washing sinks. There was a bed in front of the sink, a patent leather bed, so I laid down and she rinsed out the shampoo.

Then she began to massage my temples and my eyes began to close. Soon enough she was scrubbing my nose with some minty scented exfoliant. The bed fell away beneath me and my body began to float. She began to grow fingers, a thousand of them to be precise. She was having a field day with my prominent chin, clapping her hands together as they connected at the end of my jaw line. She continued rubbing my face for half an eternity before she began working on my neck and shoulders. And when my time was up she lifted my head forcefully, throwing my noodly body off the end of the table and into a standing position, a white cotton turban atop my spinning head. Then she sat me down and continued to work on my shoulders and back. After 45 minutes she smiled and asked for money. I wanted to tip but all I had was 21,500 dong, about a dollar and twenty eight cents. She took it gleefully as all the other girls giggled at my loopy countenance.

I've been looking at the Asian culture all wrong. My hair smells nice and my face is aglow. I'll be sad to leave this strange, happy country.

7 comments:

mirandaray said...

wow

Ben said...

I somehow think a German face massage wouldn't be quite the same.

I'm intrigued.

crackers and cheese said...

That sounds amazing! Man, if I ever find myself in Asia, I'm getting one of those! But I guess $45-65 for a massage here is a little cheaper than a plane ticket.

Laura said...

You look like you should be in a Head and Shoulder ad campaign with those flowing locks. :)

Jessica said...

That sounds amazing. My jaw is relaxed just thinking about it.

Martha Elaine Belden said...

dude!
i want one.
that sounds ahhh-mazing...

Cara said...

You're a good writer, Anton.