Sunday, December 07, 2008

Falling Back In Love With Movies

About a week ago I stated that I would see the films, Australia, Slumdog Millionaire and Synecdoche New York, within the next week. I'm very happy to say I accomplished my goal. I liked all of the movies and I'm glad that I put forth the effort to catch them all in the theater. There is something important about sharing the movie watching experience with others, on the big screen, it's just better that way. You can watch a movie on a cell phone, but your more likely to experience the movie in a theater.

Of the three, I would highly recommend that you go and see Slumdog Millionaire, no matter what your taste in movies. If you're into big epic tales and can handle a three hour movie, then I can pretty much guarantee you're going to leave Australia happy. People were clapping at the end of the screening I watched. Synecdoche New York on the other hand, I'm not going to recommend you go see. If you're the kind of person that likes to get heavily introspective and think about the fact that you're constantly aging and will one day die, then maybe this is the movie for you. I think Charlie Kauffman, the writer and director of the film is absolutely brilliant, but I've gotta warn you, Synecdoche New York is not a film that fills you with a sense of hope. It's pretty dark from the half way point.

I moved to L.A. to work in the movies, so it makes sense that I'm rededicating myself to studying them and loving them. If you haven't seen a movie in the theater in a while, do yourself this favor: Go to the gas station and buy a can of coke and some sugary candy, go see a fantasy film and enjoy yourself. It's one of the greatest simple pleasures of the last century of human innovation.

3 comments:

crackers and cheese said...

I'm really hoping that Slumdog Millionaire is playing in DFW when I go home this week.

If I liked Adaptation, would I like Synecdoche New York?

Martha Elaine Belden said...

i wholeheartedly agree, anton... with that last paragraph in particular. and also with what you said about synedoche. it's the first time in my life that i was utterly awed by a film, but i don't want to talk about it... at all... with anyone.

i gotta go see the other two you mentioned... i love baz luhrman and am really excited about australia and you've gotten me really excited about slumdog millionaire

Cara said...

I liked Adaptation, and I didn't like S. New York. I mean, there's a ton of stuff in it to discuss in a film class, but it's hopelessness without even a hint of redemption. I do enjoy my hopeless film, but I need that hint.