Friday, December 26, 2008

It Has Come To My Attention

It has come to my attention, that the population of the world is getting dumber. We have been haste to apply systems to all aspects of modern life to make daily tasks easier, leaving behind foresight in design and focusing first and foremost on personal comfort with no thought for the global, or even community impact of our consumerism.

In response to this revelation, I am rededicating myself to the pursuit of knowledge. Like every self-described "revolutionary" before me, I want to single-handedly change the world, but like so many before me, I will not be destroyed by the failure of that pursuit. The power I have to affect a person take action to live more sustainably is completely dependent on the amount to which I live my own ideals.

I am reading more literature, I am looking at more art, I am learning more about the natural world, I am taking care of my own body and I am focusing more of my time and thoughts on God and peace. Eventually, these pursuits will lead me to ways of making the world a better, more peaceful, less polluted, more educated place.

The important thing, is that you remember that you have the ability to bring good into the world. Everything you do has a reaction and a consequence. So in the face of freewill, choose to be a good person. Be responsible, recycle, drive less, stick your gum wrapper in your pocket until you find a trash can, go pick up the napkin that blew off your table, smile at the little girl who is starring at you from the next table, hold the door for the person behind you, signal, eat right, exercise, use less credit, buy less, read more classic literature and less celebrity gossip, read international news, meditate, pray, pay your taxes, vote, exercise freedom of speech, save your money, travel, tip, hug people tightly, don't judge on first impressions and last but not least, learn how to fight so that when you see injustice you can bring it.

5 comments:

kyle said...

As I wake up for the fifth day in a row tired at 9:45 in the morning and read this entry, I feel the call to action. You are the embodiment of the right change, Anton.

When you're the one people are looking to for inspiration, I'll be happy to call you 'friend.'

Anton said...

It should be noted that I've been reading Che Guevara's diary. Not that I want to be like him, but the "revolutionary" language he uses has definitely gotten to me.

Martha Elaine Belden said...

:) i love you, friend

and i love that last line. peace, love, freedom... bring it.

greatness.

Sarah Kay said...

Good thoughts Brother. :)

mirandaray said...

inspiring. i respect you and your list.