Sunday, December 21, 2008

Punching Someone Out on Christmas

Today I went down to Old Town Pasadena, where there is a Patagonia store, to buy a Christmas present for a family member. It turns out that Old Town Pasadena is a really nice shopping area, almost an outdoor mall, so I just decided to knock out all of my Christmas shopping with a walk around the block. As I was walking down the packed side-walk, full of Christmas shoppers having a jolly time, to the tune of a Salvation Army bell ringer, much to my joyous surprise, a navy band of old gentleman, dressed up to the nines and armed with trombones and trumpets, began to play a truly beautiful rendition of "Winter Wonderland," when some young person in the crowd, exclaimed audibly, "Bah-HUMBUG!" Then again, the same thing. My Christmas-smile turned quickly into a Christmas, I'm-about-to-knock-a-fool-out.

I'm telling you, if I would have seen the words come out of that person's mouth, I would have reacted violently. Some days, I can't believe this is the world I live in.

I watched "Elf" with good friends this evening and ate homemade Christmas cookies to regain my cheer.

4 comments:

Christina said...

i'm watching elf this very moment! the best way to spread christmas cheer is by singing loud for all to hear!

crackers and cheese said...

Smilings my favorite :)

My word verification was "festedes," which sounds like a strange holiday.

Martha Elaine Belden said...

elf ALWAYS helps me regain my cheer :)

francisco... that's fun to say

mirandaray said...

i have episodes of "Christmas-I'm-about-to-knock-a-fool-out" too. (LOVE that.) Hot chocolate is my go-to cheerer-upper.