Friday, February 20, 2009

Scuba Diving, Jungle Treks and Beach Activities

I'm hopping on a plane tomorrow afternoon and flying to the Island of Tahiti, one of the islands in a chain which is known as French Polynesia. Maybe you're pretty geographically savvy yourself, but a surprising amount of people I know have no idea where in the world Tahiti is located. I've heard people claim it's both in the Caribbean and off the coast of Africa. So I've made the map below to give you a better representation of where I will physically be.
It's always fun for me to imagine my tiny body, to the scale of the map, flying through the air from one destination to the other. It's so hard to believe that in these modern times we can go from one distinct geographical region of the planet to another with such ease.

As you may or may not know, I'm going to fulfill my role as "stunt camera operator" on a travel/adventure show called Get Out!. In reality, I will be directing, producing shooting and running my own sound on many of my own segments. I've done this in the past, but this year I really am on my own. For some segments it will just be me and the talent, taking small planes to outlying islands such as Moorea and Bora Bora to shoot scuba diving and other adventure activities. Also different this year is the extremely short production schedule. In the years past we've taken around 18 days to shoot 13 episodes. This year we're shooting the entire show in 5 and a half days. We're just shooting with 3 camera "crews." I put the word "crews" in parenthesis because my crew consists of me and only me. Adventure, here I come.

2 comments:

Lori said...

Oh, how wonderful!

This is an incredible opportunity. I am tempted to say that its a once in a lifetime opportunity, but I can see many more like this coming your way.

heather hub said...

fabulous! i hope you have a great time, work hard and come back with some quality footage and lots of stories!