Friday, March 20, 2009

Re-Studying Cinema

As I write this I'm lying on the couch and watching a feature length film, for free on hulu.com (yes, the one from the Alex Baldwin Super Bowl ad). There are only about 100 full movies on the site right now but some of the titles are pretty incredible (ex. Richard Linklater's 1991 masterpiece "Slacker"). My current choice is a 2003 Indy Australian picture called The Rage in Placid Lake. It stars the singer-songwriter Ben Lee, and the beautiful Rose Byrne (currently starring on the tv show Damages). It reminds me of the movie Eagle Vs. Shark (youtube, Apple), both recent-ish Indy flicks, one from Australia and one from New Zealand - maybe they both have similar dramedic sensibilities.

Point is - I'm actually lying down and enjoying a movie. Emphasis on "enjoying" - for someone who considers himself a filmmaker, I watch far too few films.

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Let's watch a movie soon.

Martha Elaine Belden said...

how did i NOT know that hulu has movies.

my mind has just been blown.