Friday, April 24, 2009

Donating My Hair

Jessica and I went over to Floyd's barbershop in Studio City to get my hair cut and donated to Locks of Love. I called them beforehand and they informed me that the haircut would be free and that they had the paperwork to donate to the organization.
I had spent the last year and a half, growing out my hair, not even getting trims, so that I would have plenty to donate. Last week we measured it from my scalp and it was 11.5 inches. You only have to donate 10 inches.
I filled out the paperwork and sat down with the stylist.The first thing she said was, "your hair is not long enough to donate." I informed her that we'd measured it and it was over 10 inches. "So you're shaving your head?" she said. I told her that I wanted to salvage as much as possible, but I was o.k. with it being very short. She grabbed the back half of my hair into a loose ponytail and chopped it off before I could say anything, cutting the hair on the sides and top in half at about 6 inches. The hair was ruined.The year and a half was wasted. "See," she said. "It's not long enough." I said it was too late, but that "the Locks of Love website said to gather the hair into a bunch of small ponytails or braids and cut those off."
She stopped cutting my hair. "I've done this a lot" she said. "Oh, ok, you would know then" I said. "Yeah, thank you," she said. And continued to cut my hair.
I was more than disappointed. I decided a little while ago not to get angry or stressed out about anything anymore, so I kept my mouth shut.
I'm pretty sure that when I left they just threw away my hair. Or maybe they made baby mustaches with it?I'm pretty sure that she just didn't want to take the time to do it right, because she knew I was getting a free haircut and the quicker she got me out of her chair, the quicker she could get to work on a paying client. What did I learn?

It's hard to do good things. People are rarely nice by nature...Humility.

Here's the part when you're really going to think I'm crazy - I tipped the stylist afterward. She looked surprised. The other thing I learned is that I look a lot better with short hair.P.S. Thank you Jessica for photo-documenting this and for editing the photos and making me look SO GOOD (I saw those raw files girl, - bang up job sprucing me up).

16 comments:

kyle said...

now, i've never done the really long hair thing [longest at about 6-7 inches, barely], but as a fellow short-haired person, it's so much cleaner and more practical isn't it?

besides it shapes out well.

and yes, you do look better with short hair. But the longness was fun while you had it, wasn't it?

Anton said...

Yes, I had some fun with it. I'd say the last few months were more annoying than fun, but I enjoyed it while it lasted.

Sometimes when I was singing at church, I'd let it fall in my face and I'd pretend I was a rockstar singing moodily over the microphone. I'll miss that.

Chris Chisu said...

You guys rock.

James Rhodes said...

I tried to do the same thing n 07 when i shaved my head, my hair was to my mid back, but they told me it had to be at least 10 inches from the ponytail. I was bummed as well, but what are you gonna do....

claudia said...

you are gorgeous..
i was looking for the song "dinosaurs on the ark" and then i saw the video about your trip in vienna.
very fun. the fountain in the background was the "hochstrahlbrunnen"
when is your next trip? can i travel with you? haha..

bye greetz from vienna

crackers and cheese said...

Hehe, you have an internet stalker/fan :P

Man, I'm kinda pissed at that barber. Oh well, it's over and done. You do look good with short hair - welcome back to the world of the cleancut fellows!

Anonymous said...

I was going to say it was not long enough when I saw your first photo because I knew the 10 inch pony tail thing. I guess she could have done a bunch of smaller pony tails all over to cut and then bundle them together. Sorry she was not willing to take the time. :(

Martha Elaine Belden said...

already mentioned it over on facebook, but while i'm sad to see the locks go... you do look mighty good ;)

sorry for the disappointing stylist though. good for you for not getting upset... but it does suck.

Sarah Kay said...

That's really disappointing that she didn't put it into ponytails for you. But I like it short again. I missed your clean cut look. :)

Jessica said...

I wish I had been able to steal that t-shirt.

P.S. Hey fix my link!

Lori said...

Hey, you look great with short hair! Very suave.

And if it makes you feel any better, Locks of Love sells much of the hair it receives to wig making companies who then sell the wigs. If you really want to donate your hair for cancer patients or other equally needy people, there are other more reputable charities out there. ;) I'm a little hair crazy.

Patamomma said...

That is so sad. There are other places out there to donate to that doesn't require the 10 inches. One place requires 8 and I think that is where I'm going to donate my girls' hair. Patty

Anonymous said...

What a jerk. I couldn't have been as calm as you. Next time try just selling your hair and donating the money.

Anonymous said...

You look hot! P-H-A-T hot with short hair! ;)

Anonymous said...

Wow!! Thanks for sharing that episode. You tried to do a good deed, your heart was in the right place. If it's any consolation....your new cut is really sexy!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your story. I'm growing mine out now and have begun to think about where to donate and where to get the deed done. Now I have a better idea what to look out for.
Last cut was Oct '09. I am an unemployed student and figured why not? I got laid off for the first time in 30 years. Got another 1 & 1/2 years to finish my bachelors degree. It's about 6-8 inches now, should be 12-14 by the time I'm ready.