Sunday, May 03, 2009

Watching Movies

On Wednesday, I made it to The Newport Beach Film Festival to see the new documentary by filmmaker Brook Silva-Braga called One Day In Africa, a movie about a day in the life of 6 different people from 6 different African countries, it was very well done. His first movie, A Map For Saturday was a documentary about his year-long backpacking trip around the world, told through the eyes of other travelers he met along the way. It's a movie that I've watched over and over, so I was really excited to see his latest work. Brook was also in attendance, so I got to meet him and I'm happy to report, he is both a talented filmmaker and a great guy.

Tonight I went over to The Arclight Theater in Hollywood and watched the documentary film Tyson, which was getting great reviews at Sundance when I was there earlier in the year. I love that I live in a city where I can see movies like this in the theater. I don't love that the ticket was $14.50, but I guess that's the trade-off. It was fascinating to see Mike Tyson narrate his own story.

To prepare for our movie in New Zealand I've been watching A Map For Saturday, Before Sunrise, The Puffy Chair, Before Sunset and for some reason the classic films Jules et Jim and La Dolce Vita.

Man, I love movies.

3 comments:

heather hub said...

i saw a map for saturdays...in a little back room at REI just over a year ago. it was great! i got his info and emailed brook after with some questions and he was nice enough to get back with me quickly. great guy! i'll have to check out one day in africa. thanks for the info!

Martha Elaine Belden said...

i forget how much i love movies. i've been concentrating so much on my obsession with live music that i've let movies completely out of my life. but i do miss them though. there was a time they were my true love. i've also let writing go by the wayside... i need to try to make it all work.

crackers and cheese said...

Mmm, Before Sunrise and Before Sunset are incredible films. I'll have to watch A Map for Saturday soon.

Have an incredible trip in New Zealand and Australia and an amazing experience making your film :)