Monday, June 29, 2009

25 Was A Good Year

I tend to think of years, not New Years to New Years, but my birthday to my birthday. I don't think this is solely egotistical, I think it has to do more with the programming of my brain by elementary school summer vacation. You see, my birthday is in early June, nearly perfectly coinciding with the start of summer. It also meant that school was always out before my birthday, so there was never any mention of my special day in class. This has nothing to do with anything other than me wanting to vent about the injustice of never being celebrated for being born whilst in school. It made me a more humble person. Thank God for that.

I'm currently working with a collaborating partner on a new television concept. Can we agree that TV has taken a turn for the worse in the last decade? Do you remember Mister Wizard, Jaques Costeau, nature documentaries without a sensationalist agenda? Where has this programming gone? While there are obvious exceptions - Planet Earth, LOST, Arrested Development; there are good shows being made, but there are hundreds of new channels streaming worthless moving images with tinny audio. We have a strong concept for a classic kind of show, a global show. And we have interest!

We shot a movie and it is being edited. It's a short film, but it's epic in scale. The hope is to take the short and use it to sell the feature-length script. And then to be given the opportunity to direct it.

I'm writing, short-stories, essays and screenplays. I'm editing the hours and hours of footage from around the world that I've accrued over the past few years of traveling. I'm learning how to be a better filmmaker. And I'm working with clients who I enjoy, who challenge me and who provide me with an income.

I'm also working out, running, tanning, watching movies and informative videos and reading, a lot. I hate to be too positive here, but it feels great to be human!

3 comments:

Jessica said...

Don't hate being so positive! Let 'er rip!

P.S. I'm sorry you never got cupcakes for your birthday in class. Next year, we'll fix that.

mirandaray said...

i always loved having a summer bday (and not having to go to school on my bday). going to work on my bday has been a rough transition.

Anonymous said...

Tanning! That's not good for you. Sunscreen!
Ann