Wednesday, October 07, 2009

Quote

"The only artists I have ever known who are personally delightful are bad artists. Good artists exist simply in what they make, and consequently are perfectly uninteresting in what they are. A great poet, a really great poet, is the most unpoetical of all creatures. But inferior poets are absolutely fascinating. The worse their rhymes are, the more picturesque they look. The mere fact of having published a book of second-rate sonnets makes a man quite irresistible. He lives the poetry that he cannot write. The others write the poetry that they dare not realize."
Oscar Wilde (The Picture of Dorian Gray)

I've lived wildly and I work manically - so I hope the above isn't as true as it sounds.

I came across this quote in Dave Eggers "Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius" today and I just put the book down after I read it. Most of the artists I admire (mostly filmmakers and writers, but some painters), are perfectly boring in their personal lives, but highly efficient and they make wonderful and interesting art. I'm neither efficient, boring, nor, in my opinion, have I produced much art that I'm REALLY proud of. I've got stories for days though, let me tell you.

4 comments:

Martha Elaine Belden said...

interesting.

i'm not sure which i'd rather be.

bridget. said...

i think it is so much better to be a person people want to know than to be a person people can say they know.

mirandaray said...

i love oscar wilde and everything he's ever said.

Cara said...

Very interesting. I need to pick up that book. Anton, I think you have it in you to be both great artist and great liver. Not the organ, but the person that really lives. What's so sad is that there are people who neither live nor create. I'm fighting against this.