Thursday, November 12, 2009

After Watching 4 Months 3 Weeks And 2 Days

4 Months 3 Weeks and 2 Days is a Romanian film about 2 young girls, college students, getting an illegal abortion in communist Romania in 1987. In 2007 the film won the Palm d'Ore at the Cannes Film Festival.

The movie is a hard one to swallow, but an important film nonetheless. It graphically shows both the abortion procedure, as well as the aborted fetus afterward. As you may imagine, an illegal abortion isn't an easy thing to obtain, and the man responsible for carrying it out, isn't a moral man. He may even be a psychopath, or a sociopath. He is certainly a monster. The movie is disturbing, but it isn't immoral. It's realistic and possibly even impartial.

I don't recommend seeing 4 Months 3 Weeks and 2 Days. I don't know why I put myself through movies like this, or whether I'm masochistic (I don't think I am). But I love filmmaking. This is a story based on true events. I am sure that the human heart is a dark place. And after watching this film, I don't pity it's characters. I'm sure we all get what we deserve in the end.

No comments: