Wednesday, December 09, 2009

Interesting Advice

I have no idea who Charlie Hoehn is (found this via Kottke) - I liked some of the lines in this article:

"And therein lies the best career advice I could possibly dispense: just DO things. Chase after the things that interest you and make you happy. Stop acting like you have a set path, because you don’t. No one does. You shouldn’t be trying to check off the boxes of life; they aren’t real and they were created by other people, not you. There is no explicit path I’m following, and I’m not walking in anyone else’s footsteps. I’m making it up as I go.

It’s harder, for sure, and kind of scary sometimes. But it will allow you to look at yourself in the mirror and know you’re playing by your own rules."

For some reason I read this article backwards. In the paragraph just before the one I included, he used the example of The Joker from the Dark Night movie:

"My favorite part of The Dark Knight is when the Joker is talking to Harvey Dent in the hospital, and he says: “Do I really look like a guy with a plan? You know what I am? I’m a dog chasing cars. I wouldn’t know what to do with one if I caught it! You know, I just DO things… I’m not a schemer. I try to show the schemers how pathetic their attempts to control things really are.”

Now, being a Christian believer and all of that (Calvinist even), I don't agree that there is NO set plan in life - I don't believe that we exactly know God's plan, only that the plan is good. And that is what I find freeing. I love doing what I like.

(Just read the "about" section and the guy is a blogger and video editor. No wonder this speaks to my heart.)

No comments: