With the release of the Canon 550D/T2i that all just changed. I'm still waiting for the RED Scarlet S35 to really fulfill all of my professional filmmaking desires. But the Canon EOS 550D/T2i* offers everything I need for the majority of the videos I make and it's UNDER $1,000! This camera, 1080/24p, 35mm lenses, costs LESS than the consumer video camera I bought 10 years ago!
When the RED Scarlet S35 finally does come out, I'll buy that too and with the 550D/T2i, I'll have a camera to lend to friends, to rent out to up-and-coming filmmakers and a second camera for live events.
I'm very happy about this camera. Check out Phillip Bloom's write up of some of the camera's features here, watch a pretty short shot with the camera here, and check out the camera on Canon's North American website here.
Via phillipbloom.co.uk, here are the frame rates:
- 1080p: 1920 x 1080 pixels at 30fps (actually 29.97fps)
- 1080p: 1920 x 1080 pixels at 25fps
- 1080p: 1920 x 1080 pixels at 24fps (actually 23.976fps)
- 720p: 1280 x 720 pixels at 60fps (actually 59.94fps)
- 720p: 1280 x 720 pixels at 50fps
- SD: 640 x 480 pixels at 60fps (actually 59.94fps)
- SD: 640 x 480 pixels at 50fps