Monday, February 15, 2010

Why I'm Buying a Canon 550D/T2i

I bought my first Sony mini DV handicam about 10 years ago. At the time it cost me over $1,000. Since then, I've continued shooting video professionally and yet I've never purchased another camera. I hated the quality of DV and the hyper-realistic look of interlaced video. I longed for a camera that shot a progressive frame HD image through 35mm lenses. When the first HD digital SLRs started coming out I was over-joyed. Last May 2009, I shot my film "More Than It Is" using the Canon 5D MKii before the firmware update was even released. But for various reasons, it still made no sense for me to purchase a camera. One client wanted 480/60i shot to DV tapes, another wanted DVCProHD shot to P2, while another wanted HDV tapes. If I were to purchase cameras to satisfy the needs of all of my different clients, I'd be in debt way over my head with obsolete cameras filling my soon to be foreclosed home. It's always made more sense just to rent the latest and greatest camera for each job. But it's a major hassle, always tracking down the right gear last minute. Most of the time, it really doesn't matter what I shoot on, as long as I'm producing a good image. But I haven't wanted to buy a camera because there hasn't been a cost-effective option that still offers all of the functions I want.

With the release of the Canon 550D/T2i that all just changed. I'm still waiting for the RED Scarlet S35 to really fulfill all of my professional filmmaking desires. But the Canon EOS 550D/T2i* offers everything I need for the majority of the videos I make and it's UNDER $1,000! This camera, 1080/24p, 35mm lenses, costs LESS than the consumer video camera I bought 10 years ago!
When the RED Scarlet S35 finally does come out, I'll buy that too and with the 550D/T2i, I'll have a camera to lend to friends, to rent out to up-and-coming filmmakers and a second camera for live events.

I'm very happy about this camera. Check out Phillip Bloom's write up of some of the camera's features here, watch a pretty short shot with the camera here, and check out the camera on Canon's North American website here.

Via phillipbloom.co.uk, here are the frame rates:
  • 1080p: 1920 x 1080 pixels at 30fps (actually 29.97fps)
  • 1080p: 1920 x 1080 pixels at 25fps
  • 1080p: 1920 x 1080 pixels at 24fps (actually 23.976fps)
  • 720p: 1280 x 720 pixels at 60fps (actually 59.94fps)
  • 720p: 1280 x 720 pixels at 50fps
  • SD: 640 x 480 pixels at 60fps (actually 59.94fps)
  • SD: 640 x 480 pixels at 50fps
*In North America the 550D is called the Canon Rebel T2i

3 comments:

Clif said...

Got me convinced! I'm goin for it!

Carl Weston said...

I'm glad your getting budgets with room for rentals equipment...lol;)

devid said...

Most trusted company for camera is canon.always buy canon's camera.now in printer also it becomes branded company...

------------------------------------
S35 Canon