Sunday, August 22, 2010

L.A. For The Weekend

Freelance work has taken me to the San Francisco Bay Area for the last month. It's been great work and well-paid. However, it's been solitary. I've been stationed mostly in suburbs, so I haven't even been able to really spend time with the few people I know in the region. I was given the option to stay in hotels over the weekends, but instead, I opted to drive six hours back to Los Angeles each Friday night, to hang out with my best friend Ben and our L.A. family over the weekend. After church today, I'll be packing my things once again and driving my rental car 8 hours North to Reno, Nevada for my last shoot-day on Monday. From there I'll fly back to DFW for a few days to spend some quality time with loved ones and then I'll be flying back to L.A. for another 3 week gig.

The lifestyle of a freelance video maker (camera operator, director, editor) is a tough one. Nobody tells a young hopeful filmmaker how hard it will be to maintain close relationships should they actually achieve their dreams. One of my goals is to lovingly pass this knowledge along to the new guard.

All that is to say that all of this work is a huge blessing. And I miss you when I'm on the road.

No comments: